Well, everyone, I’m going to put myself through another little experiment. I can never know what works/doesn’t work for me without trying, and I’ve been doing a lot of research on intermittent fasting (IF) lately.
IF is something that Mark Sisson from Mark’s Daily Apple (the hub of information on the Primal Blueprint) is a huge fan of. However, when I was first reading about the Primal lifestyle and what it entailed (such as the diet, exercise, and lifestyle), IF was the part I originally thought I could do.
And then, Google happened.
While I was trying to learn all that I could about IF before beginning, I came across a blog page about IF being not good for women. And then another. And another. It seemed like all across the internet, IF was considered not only ineffective for women, but downright unsafe.
Recently, I heard a Primal Podcast by Brad Pilon (writer of Eat Stop Eat), and in it he expresses frustration at all of the negative press that IF is getting amongst women. Yes, IF is more stressful on a woman’s body than a man’s, but most of the problems reported about IF and women were the result of them doing it wrong.
Instead of summing it up here, I encourage women who’ve been hemming and hawing about trying IF to listen to that podcast here. Suffice it to say that he outlines a very simple formula for IF that is safe for women to try out for themselves – and I’m going to give it a try!
After chatting with my workout buddy, Sylvia, she is on board too – and the timing couldn’t be better with summer right around the corner.
Here is the plan:
- Week 1
- Fast for 24 hours (from after Wednesday’s Dinner to before Thursday’s dinner)
- Only fast once
- Keep workouts simple and non strenuous – try to focus on strength
- Otherwise eat like I normally would (generally low carb and paleo)
- Week 2
- Fast once for 24 hrs – Wed thru Thurs (like week 1)
- Try to get two good strength workouts in
- Otherwise walk
- Eat as normal and check measurements for progress
- Week 3
- Based on first two fasts, either fast once or twice (if fasts went really well for the first two weeks, fast wed-thurs and sat-sun, otherwise, just wed-thurs)
- Gauge fatigue and try to increase strength workouts
- Week 4
Things I’m going to try to do:
- Put away the scale – I will probably be gaining weight anyway since I’ll probably be bulking up – like I do
- I will weigh myself at the start though so I can do a comparison at the end of week 4
- Get in the habit of walking whenever the weather is nice
- I consider my dance class on Tuesdays to be a combination strength/cardio workout, but I want to do weight training at the gym in my neighborhood
- I want to focus on strength training and walking to build up my muscle and hopefully increase my beast-like definition
- Try to eliminate other stresses in my life
- Keep my eating in check when I’m not fasting – aka not gorging as soon as I’m done fasting
Wish me luck, and stay healthy friends!